Does it seem like every time you fly, you’re seated next to the most annoying person ever? Well, don’t worry, the travel infographic below will show you how you can deal with the most annoying people on planes.

The second annual Airplane Etiquette Study, commissioned by Expedia and conducted by GfK, has found out what Americans think the most annoying things people do on airplanes. Personally, we think a study really needs to be done to see if altitude affects our irritability because from experience, it seems to be the case. Anything that wouldn’t annoy a person on ground is wayyy more likely to drive you absolutely crazy 30,000 feet in the air seated in a tiny space. Anyway, we digress…

So, one of the more surprising finds was that the “seat-back guy” is actually less annoying than the “rear-seat kicker,” with only 37% of Americans finding the former most annoying,  while 67% of Americans, respectively, finding the latter horrible. Whichever you agree with, Expedia says offering some candy or breath mints to the person kicking your seat will (hopefully) make them stop practicing their karate moves. Also, screaming in pain when someone reclines onto your legs might do the trick for the seat reclining violator.

Another finding was that 38% of Americans believe the reclining seat practice should be banned entirely, or at least restricted. The real question is what the heck are the other 62% thinking? Seat reclining is horrible and everybody knows it.

“Chatty Cathy” is another faulty behavior, with 43% of Americans finding it the most annoying. In fact, 78% of Americans say that they agree a little small talk is fine, but they usually try to keep to themselves during a flight. So in conclusion, we’re pretty anti-social and like our space when it comes to air travel. Hey, there is sleep to be had and movies to be watched so we need a little peace and quiet.

travel infographic

Photo via Expedia

 

What do you think of this travel infographic?

Sydney Pereira is a student at New York University trying to change the world while simultaneously making enough money to travel when she's not studying or writing. She's also an athlete, music-lover, and avid news reader. When she's not exploring NYC, fresh flowers from the farmer's market and a cup of hot tea on a lazy Saturday are equally fulfilling.

1 COMMENT

  1. Haha Sydney! We just did 25 hours from Bali to NYC a few weeks ago. I’d say that keeping the AC off for so long that I began to sweat was a bit annoying and also, the guy next to me who couldn’t quite get the idea that the entertainment system was not working. He asked 5 times, no joke. After the 5th time the understanding, kind but damn firm flight attendant just told him that unless he knew how to fix it, it wasn’t going to work. The dude was dense, lol! I don’t mind too much about recliners because I can also recline. Now, i don’t like to recline because it hurts my back, but I just see it as part of the game. If you’re flying, you better believe more than a few folks will recline into your perceived space, so if there’s nothing you can do about it, save a groan or moan, or, even asking them politely, hey, you may just roll with it….or make more money to buy or charter your own private jet lol…..this line of thinking keeps me save during our oft around the world flights.

    Thanks!

    Ryan

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here