In fourteen-hundred ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. Yes he did, and now we have a federal holiday to give us one more reason to celebrate this weekend. Whether you’re one of the lucky ones who gets a long weekend (we’re jealous) or you just need another reason to drink this weekend, we’ve got you covered. Except this weekend we’re going to steer clear of vodka red bulls and whisky sours. It’s time to try something new in honor of Columbus discovering America (or rediscovering it since technically it was already populated with millions by the time Columbus got here, but anyway…) Here are some cocktails for Columbus Day to celebrate with in honor of the great Italian explorer.
The Nina via Drinking in America
1. Mash 2 strawberries with 4 or 5 leaves
2. Add in 2 1/2 oz. Alma de Agave Resposado Tequila, 1/2 oz. guava juice, 1/2 oz. lime juice, and a splash of agave nectar
3. Shake and strain into a martini glass
4. Add a strawberry on the edge of the glass
The Pinta via Drinking in America
1. Muddle 4 fresh mint leaves with a dash of simple syrup
2. Add ice, 1 oz. La Pinta liqueur, 1 oz. Premium White Rum, and top with a splash of soda water
3. Add a sprig of fresh mint
The Santa Maria via Drinking in America
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice
2. Pour in 1 oz. of Spiced Rum, 1 oz. of Gold Tequila, and a dash of Vermouth
3. Shake gently and strain into glass
4. Garnish with an orange wheel
Columbus Cocktail via Betty Confidential
A simple cocktail with a mix of rum and brandy.
1. Fill a shaker with ice cubes
2. Add light rum, apricot brandy, and lime juice
3. Shake and strain into a cocktail glass
Campari Spritz via Serious Eats
This can also be made with Aperol as a substitute for Campari. A common Italian cocktail and often taken with aperitifs.
1. Fill glass with ice
2. Add 2 oz. of sparkling wine, 1 oz. of club soda, 2 oz. of Campari
3. Garnish with a few green olives
What are your favorite Columbus Day cocktails?