We’ve all heard that line on the radio every December, but not all chestnuts need to be roasted on an open fire. Maybe your flat isn’t equipped for that sort of culinary adventure or maybe you’ve just had it with the carolers, or maybe, not plot twist, you’ve got the travel bug real bad. However, tis indeed the season for chestnut treats and that seems to be something much of the world can agree on. There are a number of courses and food varieties that chestnuts often lend some amazing flavor and texture to, but this post somehow ended up being all about dessert? Hmm, strange, wonder why.
Check out some suggestions below of unforgettable international chestnut recipes perfect for the winter season, and don’t forget to visit the links to get the recipes.
1. France — You can’t go wrong with Mont Blanc Chestnut Cake.
Photo via Flickr/Michael Huang
2. USA — Chestnut cupcakes might just be perfect to make for that holiday party you’ve got coming up.
Photo via Flickr/Annie Nguyen
3. New Zealand — Pavlova with chestnut cream is a seasonal take on this sweet treat enjoyed all year long.
Photo via Flickr/Fahara F
4. Italy — “Castagnaccio” chestnut cake will have you booking a plane ticket before you finish your plate.
Photo via Flickr/Francesca
5. Poland — Chestnut Crumble is a great option for those trying to keep it a little lighter and healthier this season.
Photo via Flickr/Rebecca Wilson
6. Turkey — Candied chestnuts make great holiday gifts.
Photo via Flickr/Kate Hopkins
7. China — Water Chestnut Cake isn’t actually made of chestnuts. It’s made of water chestnuts. Which are a different thing pretty much entirely… but this is still a treat of the winter season and it looks yummy so hush up.
Photo via Flickr/tissue_fleur