Shari Vari is currently one of the go-to discotecas in the center of Rome. It’s easy for travelers to find, as it is literally right up the street from the famous Pantheon, yet it isn’t in any way a tourist trap, and visitors will find themselves dancing the night away alongside locals as well as other foreigners like themselves.The drinks aren’t exactly cheap but they’re on par with other clubs in the area of the same stature.
I arrived for my first visit on 1am on a Thursday night (well, Friday morning) and found that at that hour there was no cover charge and I didn’t have to wait to get in, however, my group was a party of just three women myself included, we did notice that primarily male groups were having to wait in line. The entryway is impressive, clean and classy, but the coat room had such an enormous line we didn’t even bother and resigned to hold our jackets while we danced. We went into the first room, the DJ was good and the bartenders were friendly.
But after only 10 minutes or so, we were so overwhelmed by the shoulder-to-shoulder crowd that we could hardly even dance let alone move at all, so we pushed a bit and made our way to the balcony and then the second room, which were equally crowded. Having multiple rooms meant for music and atmosphere options, more pop and house in one and rock in the other, which was great, but the building size itself meant that multiple rooms made for small dance floors, and I wonder if I’d rather have no music options but a little more room to move.
From time to time spots on the dance floor cleared up and we were able to go for a few songs but the crowd would inevitably push in again, and this is how it was until around 3:30am, just a half hour before closing. I would not go again during prime time on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday, but maybe the occasional Wednesday night — if you’re on vacation then every night is Friday night, right? So no big deal. On the plus side, we left only minutes before closing and were pleased to find that the street outside was well lit and there was a piazza always stacked with waiting taxis just steps away.
Photo via Flickr/Jørn Knutsen
- It is affordable in that it’s no more expensive than any other nightclub in the area.
- The bar tenders are friendly, happy people who clearly enjoy their jobs, and make tasty drinks, which personally, I find adds a lot to the atmosphere of any place.
- Multiple rooms with different music styles to choose from…
- Different music genres based on the night of the week, kind of nice, change it up.
- If you go late enough there’s no cover.
- Very clean, including the bathrooms.
- Crowded beyond belief on the primary party nights.
- The design allowing for multiple rooms makes for small dance floors.
- There can be a wait to get inside, particularly for groups of all guys, but this is true for most clubs.
Photo via Flickr/Marie-Hélène Cingal
Shari Vari is a cool place in a very central and accessible location with a friendly atmosphere and good music options… beginning to mid week… but hey, go big or go home right? See ya’ll Tuesday night! Hollaaaaa!